The purpose of this statement is to set out how we use Personal Information we may obtain about you. As a user of the services provided by Channels and by using the Channels website generally you agree to this use.
When you purchase items from the Channels website you will be asked to provide certain Personal Information such as your name, email address, billing address, delivery address, telephone number, product selection, credit card or other payment information and a password. We will store this data and hold it on computers or otherwise, and we will take all reasonable steps to ensure that all information remains confidential. We will fully comply with all applicable UK Data Protection legislation.
We may use information you provide or obtained by us:
- To process your orders
- To register you with our website and to administer our website services.
- For assessment and analysis (e.g. market, customer and product analysis); to enable us to review, develop and improve the services which we offer and to provide you and other customers with relevant information through our marketing programme.
- We may inform you (by e-mail, mail or otherwise) about products and services which we consider may be of interest to you. We will only do this if you have agreed by ticking the box ‘Would you like to receive news from Channels?’ provided when you are buying online on our website.
- To serve website content and advertisements to you
- For the prevention and detection of fraud.
If at a later date you wish to opt-out of receiving marketing information from Channels, you will be able to unsubscribe at anytime by clicking on the ‘unsubscribe’ link at the bottom of all our email communications.
We may give information about you to the following, who may use it for the same purposes as set out above:
- To employees and agents of Channels to administer any accounts, products and services provided to you by Channels now or in the future.
- Agents who profile your data so that we can tailor the goods/services we offer to your specific needs.
- To anyone to whom we transfer or may transfer our rights and duties under our agreement with you.
- If we have a duty to do so or if the law allows us to do so.
In order that we can monitor and improve the site, we may gather certain information about you when you use it, including where you are on the internet (eg. the URL you came from, IP address, domain types like .co.uk and .com), your browser type, the country and telephone area code where computer is located, the pages of our website that were viewed during your visit, the advertisements you clicked on, and any search terms that you entered on our website (“User Information”).
You should be aware that if we are requested by the police or any other regulatory or government authority investigating suspected illegal activities to provide your Personal Information and /or User Information, we are entitled to do so.
New technologies are emerging on the Internet that help us to deliver customised visitor experiences. In particular, there is a technology called “cookies”, which may be used by us to provide you with customised information from our website. A cookie is an element of data that a website can send to your browser, which may then store it on your system. Cookies allow us to understand who has seen which pages and advertisements, to determine how frequently particular pages are visited and to determine the most popular areas of our website. Cookies also allow us to make our website more user friendly by, for example, allowing us to save your password so that you do not have to re-enter it every time you visit our website.
We endeavour to take all reasonable steps to protect your personal details. However, we cannot guarantee the security of any data you disclose on-line. You accept the inherent security risks of providing information and dealing on-line over the Internet and will not hold us responsible for any breach of security unless this is due to our negligence or willful default.
Channels is a secure website. Every time you enter an area of the site that carries or requires sensitive information such as your credit card details, an icon resembling a padlock will appear at the bottom of your browser window. This is an indication that the site is secure.
Channels uses the Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) and Private Communications Technology security standards that are supported by Microsoft Internet Explorer 4.0 or later and other popular browsers.
We accept orders only from web browsers that permit communication through Secure Socket Layer (SSL) technology – this means you cannot inadvertently place an order through an unsecured connection.
SSL encodes your personal information and all your transactions are protected by the powerful SSL encryption technology. SSL encrypts your credit card number, name, address, phone number, identification number and password as it travels through the Internet, so that it cannot be read by anyone other than the secure server.